Login Form

Historical Places

Hargreaves Factory

In 1882 Mr John Hargreaves moved from Breakfast Creek to Manly Road, setting up a small jam factory. This small jam factory however soon grew to become a thriving industry, one that many local residents were grateful to rely on, especially during the Depression years. The industry grew rapidly after word spread about the quality of jam produced. The Hargreaves factory was situated on a stretch of rich, red loam, extending over twenty miles with breaks from Redland Bay to Ormiston and Manly. It was over these areas that the fruit used in the factory was grown. The ability to preserve the fruit fresh from the orchard was a unique and much desired position, ensuring the highest standard of produce every time. Operations within the factory were extensive with three products in particular, canned tropical fruits, tomato sauce and confectionery including candied peels appealing to the customers immensely. Those within the community that worked in the jam factory enjoyed a variety of comforts at the expense of Mr Hargreave. A tennis court and bowling green situated near the factory for the use of employees were among these. As well as providing many within the Wynnum Manly community with a steady wage for many years the factory provided support in a number of other ways. In particular, the factory provided housing for those hardest hit by the Depression, with many flattening out the large jam tins and using them as shingles.

The 'Grotto'

While guest houses and camping sites were common among Wynnum Manly in the early nineteenth century, one holiday spot in particular is remembered by the relatives of those who spoke fondly of the 'Grotto'. Recollections of the Grotto describe it as an old house built before 1900 situated at the bottom of Falcon Street. The Grotto however was not a luxurious guest house, but a sailor's retreat, with many renting the house for the weekend while sailing off Manly. While facilities in the Grotto were a fair bit more primitive than nowadays, the boys and men that visited the house on weekends were able to create all the necessary comforts through inventive means. Where a beer fridge would be a necessity in present times, in the early 1900s the men made do with tying string to the bottle necks and placing them in an old ship's tank full of water. It is obvious also from the recollections that visitors to the house enjoyed creating a bit of mayhem. One story demonstrating this is that of the notice above a phone in the toilet that read "if no paper ring the house". Ringing this phone caused many a new member a shock when those in the house pushed a button than then proceeded to slightly electrocute the toilet user through wires connected to the seat.

Ingleston Guest House

Ingleston Guesthouse was built in 1915 and was situated in Charlotte Street. In direct contrast to the Grotto Ingleston offered refinement and class to many who chose to visit the area. As well as holidaymakers the doors were opened to visiting officials and those in need of short-term accommodation. The magnificent two level Queenslander with full wrap around verandahs and beautiful views would make a cherished addition to the area. Unfortunately however the building was destroyed in a fire in 1946.

Ingleston Guest House
Compliments Brisbane City Council 218-WYN

The Reformatory for Boys

The reformatory for boys situated at Lytton officially commenced in 1871. At this stage the quarters were established on the water police hulk "Proserpine". In 1880 however the quarters were moved to Signal Hill and were occupied until the late 1890s. The reformatory boasted spacious and comfortable facilities including dormitories, classrooms and a tailors workshop. The methods used within the Reformatory were not the strict discipline and severity that one might expect of the time. The boys were in fact treated with kindness and respect with industrious labour used to create a sense of purpose and self-respect among the boys. The labour required was quite extensive with their achievements including a defensive stockade surrounding Signal Hill, and the building of Fort Lytton itself.

Memorial Park

Around the time of 1915 a large number of acres near Peel Street in Manly were set aside to be used as a public park. The first name given to this area was Russell Park. However, after the end of World War One the Council of the time changed the name to Memorial Park. A moving effort from many volunteers saw the planting of around forty five trees, under which was placed a wooden cross with a plaque inscribed with the name of a Wynnum resident who did not survive their service during the war. The area of roadway which traversed the park from Peel Street Manly to Pine Street Wynnum was then known as Memorial Drive. Memorial Park has undergone a number of changes and is no longer the unadorned acres that were first set aside. The site is now host to Wynnum State High School with the school using the park as its sporting fields. Unfortunately the crosses and plaques have since disappeared however the significance of the park is still remembered with many who continue to refer to Peel Street as Memorial Drive.

Moreton Bay Girls High School

Established in 1901 the Moreton Bay Girl's High School was situated in Bay Terrace Wynnum. As the school came into existence during a time when it was important that young ladies be skilled in housekeeping and entertaining emphasis was placed on these virtues during lessons. Academic pursuits however were also encouraged. In 1910 the school doubled its accommodation capability and soon after the music school was established. Situated in a separate building the music school was believed to have been the first of its kind established in Queensland. The school provided extensive facilities including insulated practice rooms, studios, a music library and an assembly hall for performances. The school itself was very involved with the community's development, continually lent out for social, religious and philanthropic work. Some of the more well known community organisations began their initial meetings within the school including meetings of the Moreton Masonic Lodge held in the music school, continuing until the Masonic Hall was built. The School of Art's initial meetings originated in the library and the areas first Scouts and Brownies met for many years in the school grounds. As the school is now situated in Wondall Road Manly, Wynnum residents are unable to admire the original statuesque building, once the pride of Bay Terrace.

Moreton Bay Girls High School

Irvine's "Commonwealth" Store

After the disastrous floods of 1893 destroyed Hugh Irvine's New Farm grocery store plans were made to move to the newly developing area of Wynnum. The family moved in 1897 opening the "Commonwealth" store, the first shop to open on Bay Terrace. The store was an integral part of Wynnum Manly for seventy years with the family living above the store and passing on the family trade for generations, selling goods brought into Wynnum by horse and cart from Brisbane. Irvine's dedication to customer service could be seen as soon as the opening day with a home delivery service up and running immediately. Trading began to decline in the 1950s when modern business methods were first introduced. In the new world of self-service there was no room for the store which still believed in seating the customer comfortably and bringing their goods to them. Irvine's was sold to Hartley's in 1966 with the building subdivided in the early 1970s. The building unfortunately fell into disrepair and was later demolished in 1984 to become the Department of Social Security.

Imperial and Star Theatres

Although there are no longer movie theatres within the local area, the past demonstrates that during the early half of the nineteenth century they were a sought after form of entertainment. One of the most successful was the Star Theatre. Originally an open-air theatre built in 1915 the Star was later built in and went on to enjoy success during the heyday of cinema during the 30s. Tragically however, a fire that had originated in a neighbour's fish and chip shop spread to the Star Theatre, destroying the building. Even more devastating were the deaths of sub-station officer Herbert George Lees and station officer Sidney William Brown, firefighters killed when the theatre projection room collapsed and buried them under debris. The Imperial Theatre also saw success during the 1930s when it was customary for the theatre to accept 300 reservations a day. The Imperial did not suffer such a tragic fate as the Star but slowly lost business over time and eventually takings were too minimal to continue.

Imperial and Star Theatres
Compliments Brisbane City Council 59-BCC-WYN

Manly Foreshore

Manly is well known for its extensive boat harbour which stretches along the foreshore. At the turn of the century however there were no thoughts regarding a boat harbour. Bathing was what drew crowds from Brisbane every weekend with changing boxes lining the foreshore, the use of one costing a penny. Although a favourite bathing spot, visitors to the foreshore did not have the luxury of a sandy beach, instead having to climb down ladders straight into the water. The ladders were located on a wooden retaining wall that stopped the waves splashing pedestrians walking along the footpath

Falcon Street Wall

Originally known as Spring Street, Falcon Street contains one of the most recognisable landmarks within Manly. Falcon Street serves a very steep area. In order to give access to residences on both sides of the street, both Falcon and Wellington Street needed to be constructed in two level construction. This however, proved impossible as the embankment was too high and wide to provide two way access. This could be fixed by building a retaining wall to replace the embankment. Although a simple solution, co council was prepared to pay the costs of the wall as it served only a few people. However, the wall was built due to the innovation of a District Works Engineer who took advantage of the financial depression to initiate the project. During the late 20s and 30s the State Government commenced a system referred to as 'relief work', which for the many unemployed of the time provide some income into the household. Under the system, the State paid the workers wages and provided al, the tools and materials. Acting under his own authority, the District Works Engineer started construction of the wall. The use of the 'relief work' scheme saw the wall built with the State Government paying all the costs.

J.A. Fairweather Grocer's

Mr Jack Fairweather was a charitable presence within Manly's early development and can be credited with increasing the shopping district to the betterment of Manly. Mr Fairweather first settled in Manly during the 1920s when he purchased a store in Stratton Tce. Manly. Although the Depression hit him hard, Mr Fairweather was able to take over a vacant shop in Cambridge Parade using makeshift furnishings such as kerosene cases and tables for counters. In 1939 Mr Fairweather was able to purchase a property on the corner of Cambridge Parade and Melville Terrace. It was here that the grocery store was built. The Manly community, like many other areas in Australia were struggling financially during the war years. Mr Fairwether became a solid foundation of charity and goodwill, maintaining free delivery throughout the war years and ensuring quality service. In 1946 the store was extended to include a hardware department, a hairdressing salon and a dentist.

96 Tingal Road: Home of the 'Herald'

William Lockwood was the founder of a printing press in Wynnum in 1914, setting up the business on a verandah. As the business grew however it was obvious that he was in need of a printing shop. He initially set up shop on the corner of Clara St and Tingal Rd. In 1915 however, he moved to 96 Tingal Rd, this becoming the original home of the Wynnum Herald. The first edition of the Wynnum Herald was available on January 31 1946. With an initial circulation of 3000, after only six months this figure had grown to 5000. Although Mr Lockwood died in 1963 his sons George and Stan continued to run the Herald until purchased by The Courier Mail in 1970.

Sources of information:

Armstrong, H.W. (1971) The History and Development of the Wynnum District, Brisbane.
Beitz, M.N. (1982) Mangroves to Moorings: The Past 100 Years of Manly, Queensland, Manly centenary Committee to Commemorate 100 Years of Closer Settlement, Brisbane.
Wynnum Herald, (2003) Own A Piece of History, July 16, Page 25

Manly District Schools

State Schools

Before the opening of Lytton State School in 1882 and Wynnum Central State School in 1896, students living in the Manly district had to make their way to either Hemmant, which opened in 1864 or Tingalpa, which opened in 1873. The opening of Manly State School in 1910 made the journey to school much easier. Manly State school opened with 107 students enrolled. The building of the schools was something of a community effort, with the Education Department requiring local residents to contribute two hundred pounds towards to cost of construction. This fee was raised through a number of fetes. The greatly increasing population resulted in an enrolment of over 700 students by the late 40s. This situation was eased in 1952 when Lota State School opened. The continuing spread and increase of population also saw the opening of Manly West State School in 1958 and Wondall Heights in 1968.

Darling Point Special School

The Darling Point Opportunity School opened in 1958 with thirty-three pupils enrolled. The teaching staff included the Principal Miss Ruth Felsman and the classroom teacher Miss Patricia Munro. This school, which provided special education for students from Victoria Point to Hawthorne, was the first Opportunity School to be specially designed by the Government Architect, including domestic science and manual training rooms. The school has made use over the years of its idyllic setting, positioned on the corner of the upper and lower Manly Esplanades. Boat building and sailing has been a feature of the program, with the school boasting its very own sailing squadron. The schools enthusiasm for the sea and marine life saw the establishment of Australia's first education Marine Centre and the launching of 'Heritage' the floating classroom on June 4 1980.

Manly District Churches

St Paul's Anglican Church

The first services took place in 1890 within the Board Hall in King Street. Rev. H.T. Moles then moved to St Peters in Charlotte St in 1899 to perform his services. Due to the growing population services were commenced in 1912 by Rev. H.P.Hale in the converted milking sheds of the 'Wyvernleigh' homestead. A large block of land was purchased and a Hall was built in 1914. The money for the Hall was raised by the parishioners through a serries of fetes and donations. St Pauls was part of the parish of St Peters until 1929, when it became an independent parish under the care of Rev. Henry Lilley.

Manly Congregational Church

When Rev. W.A. Gann settled in Manly he found several families of congregational worshipers. After making several inquiries regarding a place of worship the home of Mr and Mrs G.A. Savage was offered and services commenced. As the worshipers grew it became necessary to secure a church building. A church building located at New Farm was found and was relocated to Manly. The Manly Congregational Church later became an arm of the Bayside Uniting Church.

Manly Methodist Church

In the late 1800s Mrs A. Rix commenced a Sunday School. This school first took place in the bushhouse at the back of Mr Curtis's store in Stratton Terrace, later moving to Paton's Hall. The school moved to the Manly church once construction in Kingsley Terrace was completed in 1901. The earliest Minister was Rev. Cook.

Manly Lota Presbyterian Church

The first Presbyterian services were held in the house of Sir David Hardie. The Church was opened in 1895 in Chestnut Street. It was here that services were held for thirty-six years. In 1931 however, two generous parishioners Mrs Rix and Mrs Farmer donated land and money towards a building fund. As a result, the Manly Lota Presbyterian Church was built on land in Oceana Terrace.

The 'Bethel' Church

This church was the result of a Manly Gospel Mission, conducted by Rev. G.D. Smith from a tent in Darling Point. Locals were impressed by the Reverend's teachings, with Mrs Farrell offering her home in Fisher Street as a place to give services. The number of parishioners increased and soon a small property and shed at Preston Road was obtained. The building was ready for worship by November 2nd 1924, due to the help of many faithful workers. In 1930 a new church building was completed, also the result of voluntary labour. The church was referred to as 'Bethel' as this means 'House of God'.

Roman Catholic Church

Archbishop Duhig purchased Wyvernleigh, a property at Manly, for the purpose of worship in the early 20th Century. Due to neglect and vandalism however, the property was not suitable. This was not a major setback however as many Manly residents pulled together to clean up the property. The voluntary workers arranged for three connecting rooms to be built on the ground floor for the purpose of Mass. These rooms however, also proved to be unsuitable. The Archbishop then acquired the home of Mr Hart, located on Oceana Terrace, and arrangements were made to transfer the Mass centre to the basement of the new property. Father Butler was the first Parish Priest, having been transferred to Manly from Cleveland. In 1936, a Church was finished and blessed by Archbishop Duhig.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Missionaries conducted the first meetings of this faith in 1894. The meetings occurred in private homes for many years. By the 50s the Church was beginning to grow and meetings were held firstly in the old band hall, moving on to the Girl Guides Hall. The Manly branch of the Church was formed in 1965 with President Mervyn P. Joynt presiding. Fund raising activities provided the funds for the building of a Meeting House, built almost entirely by members.

Sources of information:

Armstrong, H.W. (1971) The History and Development of the Wynnum District, Brisbane.
Beitz, M.N. (1982) Mangroves to Moorings: The Past 100 Years of Manly, Queensland, Manly centenary Committee to Commemorate 100 Years of Closer Settlement, Brisbane.